Michigan State University’s Spartan Green Certification is an online self-assessment program that educates, assists and recognizes units taking steps to conserve energy, reduce waste and maintain the campus ecosystem. The program is managed by MSU’s Sustainability department and offers certification opportunities for all MSU offices, information-technology spaces, science laboratories, kitchens and MSU Extension. Units with multiple functions should complete applications for each applicable space.
Spartan Green Certification has three levels of achievement and spaces must pass each level in succession in order to advance to the next level. The three levels of certification are:
- Bronze Certification is the most basic level of achievement, where questions are non-category specific.
- Silver Certification is an intermediate level of achievement with category-specific questions.
- Gold Certification is the highest level of achievement. To achieve Gold Certification, units must demonstrate a sustainability initiative or project that goes above and beyond the requirements of Bronze and Silver Certifications.
By completing this online self-assessment, your space could qualify to receive:
- Recognition at MSU’s Annual Earth Week event in April, and on the Be Spartan Green website.
- A certification seal to use on all communications and recruitment documents.
- A certificate and window cling for display in your space.
The application period for 2017-19 certification closed on March 3, 2017. The next application period should begin in late fall of 2017.
Thank you for your commitment to advancing MSU’s sustainability goals. If you have questions, comments or require assistance, please feel free to contact us.